DAFC.net
Home 22 September 2017 
Rogue's Gallery

Who's Online : 37 now
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

New NHS Patients
New Row Dental Practice is accepting new patients, Something to really smile about.
[ web link ]

Crail Museum Heritage Centre
Life of this ancient Royal Burgh, its Kirk, seafaring tradition, 220 year-old golf club and Airfield history.
[ web link ]

Travel Insurance
Cover for all ages and medical conditions, enjoy your holiday with the peace of mind that you`re covered. Call Kingdom Insurance on 01383 413377
[ web link ]

PUDDLEDUB AT DOBBIES DUNFERMLINE
For the best butchery in Fife: • Family Business • Local, quality, fresh meat • Low food miles • Best animal welfare standards.
[ web link ]

[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The near future.....
Topic Originator: istvan kozma  
Date:   Sun 10 Sep 22:15

Both Dyson and Apple are working on electric cars. Should be interesting owning an iCar.....

KOZMA

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The near future.....
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Sun 10 Sep 22:38

Unless they can deliver for a cheap price they'll falter and fail. Tesla have the expensive motors covered already.

Sad to say it but Apple are out of ideas. No-one wants iPods anymore, the bottom has fallen out of the tablet market so they're left with phones and PCs. Still making plenty money but they're not pushing forward like they used to. Their only saving grace is Samsung and Microsoft making a pig's ear of things. They'll need to keep an eye of Google who just bought HTC and still have all those Motorola parents.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 03:37

The BBC are reporting that China is considering banning diesel and petrol cars, but have only commenced research and has not stated when this would be.
If they pursue this, they would obviously start building their own electric and other alternative fuel cars rather than rely on the other players (Tesla etc).

My only concern is that electric cars might not turn out to be that great for the environment, given the need for increased battery production (and eventual replacement / disposal at end of life). Maybe a better form of battery is in development?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: robbie  
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 04:07

I'm still waiting on my jet pack that I ordered in 1984!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 07:39

Be incredibly beneficial to the Chinese.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stevie  
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 07:47

Be incredibly beneficial to the whole planet.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 09:30

We better start building all these nuclear power stations and covering more of our beautiful country in windmills to generate all these electric motors.

Notto mention all the countryside which will need ripped up to build the huge charging stations needed to charge all these electric motors.

Remember don't crash one either as the fire brigade can't cut you free from the wreckage without fear of being electrocuted.

Lets not also forget the huge amount of rainforests being destroyed to mine Lithium to build the batteries.

Another political driven decision once everyone has bought their shares in the relevant industries and sold their stakes in the affected industries.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 09:42

Quote:

Stevie, Mon 11 Sep 07:47

But especially the country that has the mining rights to the minerals required to make all these electric motors and batteries. Given how many coal power plants there are in China it's fair to say they're not doing it to save the planet in the same way the UK started offering discounts on diesel cars whilst pushing the price of unleaded up to match the price of diesel. All comes down to money at the end of the day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 09:50

Topic Originator: renegade master like | nolike
Date: Mon 11 Sep 09:30

We better start building all these nuclear power stations and covering more of our beautiful country in windmills to generate all these electric motors.
----
As opposed to destroying the planet with emissions, I'd take the fields full of wind generators.

Notto mention all the countryside which will need ripped up to build the huge charging stations needed to charge all these electric motors.

------
Exhaust emissions is killing the countryside, I'd rather "rip up" areas to save the rest of it.

Remember don't crash one either as the fire brigade can't cut you free from the wreckage without fear of being electrocuted.

----
Like everything new the technology is still on going, and until they get something better a simple isolator switch will cut the power. If you go and look at the technology they have right now, you'll see that there are motors out there that can predict an accident and take evasive action. (The video I seen was incredible)

---
Lets not also forget the huge amount of rainforests being destroyed to mine Lithium to build the batteries.

------
They have been getting destroyed for years, and it won't stop even without battery technology.
----
Another political driven decision once everyone has bought their shares in the relevant industries and sold their stakes in the affected industries.

-----
It's inevitable that someone will get rich out of this, so it's a moot point.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 09:59

Topic Originator: onlytakes like | nolike
Date: Mon 11 Sep 09:42

Quote:

Stevie, Mon 11 Sep 07:47

But especially the country that has the mining rights to the minerals required to make all these electric motors and batteries. Given how many coal power plants there are in China it's fair to say they're not doing it to save the planet in the same way the UK started offering discounts on diesel cars whilst pushing the price of unleaded up to match the price of diesel. All comes down to money at the end of the day.

----
You are right about mining, but mining coal and burning it is more harmful than mining minerals for battery's. when the battery's are dead they can be taken apart for recycling, and the waste product can be buried back into some of the extinct mines.
Someone will always make money out of anything worth selling, so cash is a moot point.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 10:09

This video shows the future for cars. It shows a car predicting an accident, and taking action to avoid it.

https://youtu.be/FadR7ETT_1k

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 10:10

The crucial point you forget Stevie is photosynthesis.

The key reason the we are destroying this planet is the destruction of rainforests and land where trees and plants can change CO2 back to oxygen.

America is the biggest polluter in the world and they have no intention to cut back on CO2 out put. Yet we intend to destroy the natural oxygen producing areas to produce less.

Cars currently are producing hardly any emissions thanks to modern technology, coal power stations have carbon capture systems available to make their output negligible.

Something stinks with this massive drive towards electric.

We need to invest in sustainable systems like forestry plantations throughout the world, but no profit in wood.

Bio mass is sustainable and requires more trees yet not supported.
Solar was being given grants to be installed. Withdrawn

We have the ability and the technology to continue as we are but we are not. Why?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 10:46

What happens when there's no materials to make batteries left?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Sep 11:52

I'm all about saving trees for that very reason RM, but the fact remains that the rainforest is still being cut down at a frightening rate regardless of the cost to the planet.
If you've ever taken the ferry into Amsterdam you'd have seen the wind farm they have off shore. If we did the same here no trees would need to be destroyed.
Something stinks with the drive for electric? It took centuries to discover/admit that fossil fuel is not good for the planet, so imo trying the electric approach can only be better in the short term until we discover otherwise.
The technology is already there for water powered engines, and the only byproduct is clean consumable water, yet the folks who own the planet won't allow production of that tho, no profit in folks harvesting rain or filling up from burns, lochs, etc. Now that is the biggest ongoing stench on earth.

-------
If you learn to look after batteries properly they can last for many years, where one gallon of petrol/diesel will only last 60 miles tops??
These batteries are made up of many cells that are about a third(?) bigger than a AA battery.
When one of these batteries die, you can replace the dead cell(s) only, and keep the bulk of the battery. I know this because I've helped a friend build these batteries for mountain bikes, scooters, etc. This guy works out of his garage at home, and has better technology than the GBike people. The first three or four bikes he produced was powered by batteries out of old laptops. He struck up a deal with his local tip, and bought the old batteries, stripped them down, took all the good cells, and made the batteries to power some of his bikes along at 40+ mph. I know this as I've ridden many of his bikes.
Think about the technology that F1 has for battery power, this can even be applied to pushbikes, thus making them self contained.

All this technology is being held back because the oil rich won't allow it to be used. This is why I despair at folks holding onto the the idea that Scotlands oil will help finance an independent state. The amount of totally free wind and rain we have should be keeping that oil in the ground, and we should only harvest what oil we have when all else has failed

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org