DAFC.net
Home 22 September 2017 
Rogue's Gallery

Who's Online : 29 now
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Mobility Station
Based in Uxbridge supplying a good range of mobility products with affordable and realistic prices, we pride on giving you a speedy and quick service.
[ web link ]

Recovery and Accident Package
Pars United Breakdown Recovery and Accident Management Package, a fully comprehensive package includes a lot of extras.
[ web link ]

Craigluscar Activities
Fun and exciting outdoor experiences. Amazing hovercrafts, test your tractor driving skills or try the Hagglund BV206 (Snowcat).
[ web link ]

Online Databases
Database, scripts, online forms and web development. Club Membership. Online payments. Software Testing.
[ web link ]

[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Are the Chinese poisoning us?
Topic Originator: Bertiesback  
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 15:09

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/15/chinas-poisonous-exports/

"The Chinese have peddled numerous toxic products to American consumers, including everything from children’s toys to adult vitamins to pet food. The U.S. government regularly stops more poisonous or faulty products at the border that were imported from the PRC than from any other nation. In April 2011, for example, the Food and Drug Administration issued 197 import refusals for Chinese goods, compared to 107 for India and 105 for Mexico, the two next most prolific purveyors of bad merchandise. Some of the 197 goods refused for entry into America included hazardous cardiograph machines, cosmetics, pet medicine, diet drugs, orthodontic parts, surgical bandages, frozen spinach, asparagus and candy.

These examples were compiled by simply taking the first 10 products from the list, not by searching for the most egregious cases. The inspector’s note on a batch of refused fish gave this reason for his thumb’s down: “The article appears to consist in whole or in part of a filthy, putrid or decomposed substance or be otherwise unfit for food.” This incriminating judgment speaks to the huge risks associated with a vast range of products exported from China. Unfortunately, merely stopping a poisonous product at a port of entry doesn’t necessarily prevent it from ending up in an American home because corrupt Chinese exporters often re-ship refused products, hoping they will eventually slip past U.S. officials. In no uncertain terms, nothing from China can be assumed to be safe.

In February 2011, a research team from Thomas Jefferson University Hospital tested lead levels in ceramic plates, bowls, teacups, spoons and other items that were made in the People's Republic of China (PRC) and offered for sale in shops in Philadelphia’s Chinatown neighborhood as well as Chinese-made wares sold at stores elsewhere. Among all this kitchenware, 25.3 percent of the products from Chinatown were lead-positive and 10 percent of the Chinese goods from outside Chinatown had lead in them. “We were astounded - astounded - to find so many of them positive for lead,” said Dr. Gerald O’Malley, a toxicologist who spearheaded the study and warned that lead in Chinese products presents a serious public health threat. Lead in eating utensils can seep into food and beverages, poisoning unsuspecting innocents.

For more, read the article.

How many of us are buying Chinese toys for our pets and children? Look at the label and fight back - buy from elsewhere.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1465738-made-in-china-clothing-for-kids-could-contain-toxic-chemicals/
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Are the Chinese poisoning us?
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 15:20

yeah, according to the US all Chinese is baaaaad !

lets face it, if you go to China, and see what they actually eat themselves, apart from the toxic Mcd's that the Yanks arent complaining about selling over there, hypocrtitical b'stads, then most of what they eat wouldnt 'pass as fit' under our regulations, but thats their 'historical culture', which is slowly changing, but to whos benefit ?

regards goods, us westerners want ever cheaper mass produced cack, so no surprise some is of poor quality, its up to us to stop buying it too though

also they've faked evrything forever, so obviously will be of inferior quality too, however regarding toxic products, do we need to look as far as China ?

I see VW are recalling millions of cars in China, dont remember a recall/fines in the UK for the diesel pollution poisoning they've been getting away with here

eta, I see the reports quite up-to-date, from 2011 ffs !
fromeven before the VW scandal hit !

Post Edited (Mon 04 Sep 15:22)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lochnagar  
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 15:45

Bertie, the Washington Times?

Erm got to say it's a bit too right-wing for my taste, I'm a British Tory, that publication is full on American conservative.

"I wish they all could be Brexiteer, I wish they all could be Brexiteer Girls!"

#DEFINETLYNOTSHY
#PROUDSCOTTISHBREXITEER
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 15:50

No more chicken fried rice takeaways for me !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 15:59

Jeez Lochnigar, how have you got the nerve with the media propaganda that comes out of UK newspapers. Anyway are you disputing the article, if so lets see your rebuttal.

The date is not important as manufacturing and exporting of Chinese goods have just increased since then and if you had looked at the second link it was 2015.

I like the way you are defending theses toxic goods though Calpar, Beijing would be proud of you.

A third of Chinese made toys contain heavy metals. But don't worry because Calpar says that's 2011 and there will be none around and they are ALL safe now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8944028/One-third-of-Chinese-toys-contain-heavy-metals.html

"SHANGHAI — For a few thousand dollars, Chinese companies offer to export a powerful chemical that has been killing unsuspecting drug users and is so lethal that it presents a potential terrorism threat, an Associated Press investigation has found.

The AP identified 12 Chinese businesses that said they would export the chemical — a synthetic opioid known as carfentanil — to the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Belgium and Australia for as little as $2,750 a kilogram (2.2 pounds), no questions asked."

http://globalnews.ca/news/2989553/chinese-companies-willing-to-export-deadly-opioid-carfentanil-to-canada-and-u-s/

"Today, the issue of Chinese ingredients in pet food is far from settled. In 2014, Purina and Waggin' Train LLC agreed to pay $6.5 million to U.S. pet owners who believed the companies' China-made jerky treats were to blame for their animals' illnesses and deaths. A similar suit has been filed this year."

Bought any construction or decorating materials Made in China recently?

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1956946-does-your-house-contain-toxic-construction-materials-from-china/

Food

http://www.top10homeremedies.com/news-facts/10-toxic-foods-made-in-china-dangerous-to-health.html

All this would be bad enough if it was companies manufacturing in the UK/USA doing this but to let a foreign country like China flood our shops with cheap and often toxic goods with only the most trivial of checks being made on them is criminal and we will pay the price in the end.

Post Edited (Mon 04 Sep 16:03)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 16:07

Poundland anyone?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/9949829/Yiwu-the-magical-Chinese-city-supplying-Poundland-with-cheap-goods-for-Britain.html

Do we even know goods made to be so cheap are being made safely?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 16:09

see you glossed over the yanks polluting the Chinese and encouraging their obesity levels with their toxic fast-food brands, oh, and also the fact VW, amongst others, have been polluting us all with their toxins and getting away with it

sort out our own back yard first mate!

you have a choice to by their crappy inferior goods, or not as the case may be

i just bought Chinese made wooden marble set, where its stated its using sustainable bamboo, and soya based, non-toxin paint, as its from a reputable German brand, it wasnt cheap though, if I wanted to buy a cheaper version, perhaps that would have had toxic paint ? i had the informed choice, and made it, you can do the same without some stupid headline grabbing question posed above

oh, i best mention, i best disclose I have a vetted interest in my Chinese chums, as they pay my wages, as my employer, as the biggest telecomms eqm provider on the planet, except the Yanks wont let them into their market, maybe they dont like the paint they use on that too ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 16:11

Bertie I can see this has got you riled, but you should read those reports a bit more carefully.

It is talking about toys in China having lead and other nasty stuff, not a third of all Chinese made toys.

I can't believe I'm going to say this (I'll have to take a shower) but EU regulations prevent these things being sold here.

Have you seen any more reports like this that are recent, rather than from 2011?

#DEFINETLYNOTSHY
#PROUDSCOTTISHBREXITEER

Post Edited (Mon 04 Sep 16:12)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 16:14

see that article is 4 years old too

had a crap takeaway or something recently to get your anti-Chinese juices flowing all of a sudden with years old articles ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 16:38

Lochnigar These toys are sold to the West. It is you who needs to read more carefully.
I have posted 2016 reports. But in any case what makes you think anything has changed in a few years. If you read one of the reports carefully, being knocked back by US Customs and agencies had no effect, they tried to get the same goods in at other ports.

Here's another one to keep you going.

https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/sites/default/files/Dangerous%20Food%20Imports%20China%20Report%20Jun%202011.pdf

By the way what has really wound me up is my dog passed away about 3 months ago having survived 3 cancers in his lifetime. Recently I read about Chinese toxic pet toys and food being sold in this country. I didn't know about it because the big food and pet chains suppress these kind of things. How do you think that made me feel?

As for Calpar yes you don't have to buy the stuff, that goes without saying but how many people, even on here know there is even a question mark of these products. It's not like they are all sold cheap now is it? John Lewis is full of it as is Poundland but what difference does it make who sells it and at what price.

People need to be wary what they give their kids and grandkids, their pets and their wives and girlfriends.

Post Edited (Mon 04 Sep 16:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 16:43

I'll have a read later Bertie, I'm off out to provide the evening meal.

And yes, it's going to be Chinese without this post of yours it would probably have been a chippy.

The kids want spring rolls, I'm prepared to risk it.

#DEFINETLYNOTSHY
#PROUDSCOTTISHBREXITEER
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 16:46

Calpar I realise you want to poo poo all this info probably because it has frightened you, fair enough.

However the fact that there is as much as 6 years between some of these reports only means that there is no decent regulation of these industries, worth a damn in China so what is there to make them stop? Nothing.

If the monitoring and testing of all these thousands of different types of goods was worth a damn we MIGHT feel a bit safer but in actual fact very few are tested. Only a fool would think there is no cause for concern.

By the way I don't eat Chinese, I've never cared for it. I prefer fish n Chips or a steak pie supper. Sadly I can't say the same probably for my dog who recently passed away.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 16:48

Well I hope the soya sauce and garlic were made/grown here. :)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 17:18

I'm not frightened Bertie, as i pointed out, i make informed choices
The real question is, how do we trust anything is safe from anywhere? Oh wait, dont we test it, and ensure it conforms to regulation?
If we find it substandard/dangerous we dont allow it to be imported, so exporters/producers dont have a market, thats the way its supposed to work

every exporter/producer has same regs applied, Chinese or Indian or whatever, but there are always gonna be smugglers, crooked exporters, crooked importers, crooked customs inspection staff etc etc

Just so happens that most goods are now produced in China, so chances are higher more crap will come from there too, however, as i have pointed out, and you keep choosing to ignore, you dont need to look as far as there to find dangerous/toxic goods being produced, its hardly restricted to just the Chinese.

My mum died of cancer from smoking fags, yet we still knowingly allow those to be sold !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 17:32

Maybe not us, but perhaps our pets. I used to work for one of the UKs largest online pet stores. It sold many toys and other goods that were sourced from China. My understanding was that, unlike children's toys, there were no real safety standards for pet products.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 18:24

The Chinese are totally unprincipled when it comes to business. They use prisoners for infrastructure projects in Africa in exchange for natural resources, they ignore every health and safety and environment consideration.

Human rights ? don't be daft.

They will eat every living thing on the planet if they think it will give them a hard on.

Are their goods substandard and full of dodgy chemicals? of course they are.

It is up to governments in the west to ensure that these are not imported.

After Brexit I suppose we will be so desperate for any old deal that American beef full of hormones and even more dodgy Chinese goods will be the norm..

Rule Britannia.

I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 4 Sep 23:18

Our own poisoned us long ago and continue to do so....have a look at the decline in UK food standards and acceptable import conditions before laying the blame at anyone else's door.
Arguably we started profit over nutrition when we used other's countries own resources as a currency against the populace...to get churlish of others taking up that tactic or levelling it up to poison...again...look closer to home.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Sep 13:45

You look closer to home and allow others to post on a specific subject. if you haven't anything pertinent to say get back to your knitting.

If you want to start a thread on declining UK food standards, do it, no one is stopping you. I'm complaining about Chinese goods at the moment, if that's ok with the resident Big Conspiracy Theorist.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 5 Sep 15:01

Quote:

Bertiesback, Tue 5 Sep 13:45

You look closer to home and allow others to post on a specific subject. if you haven't anything pertinent to say get back to your knitting.

If you want to start a thread on declining UK food standards, do it, no one is stopping you. I'm complaining about Chinese goods at the moment, if that's ok with the resident Big Conspiracy Theorist.

Hardly a conspiracy theory.....try thinking.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yogi  
Date:   Tue 5 Sep 17:02

" if you go to China, and see what they actually eat themselves, apart from the toxic Mcd's that the Yanks arent complaining about selling over there, hypocrtitical b'stads, then most of what they eat wouldnt 'pass as fit' under our regulations, "

I just got back from 3 weeks in China recently, and what you say is true; some of the street food like scorpions or cockroaches on a stick certainly wouldn't pass muster at Tesco, but that's part of the fun of going there.

That said, some of the actual restaurant food there was out of this world. British/American chinese restaurants don't even begin to compare (although they are most often trying to render Cantonese style stuff, which is very different from the type of thing I was finding in Beijing or the other more northern places I visited. I admit to being a bit trepidatious before I went, but I loved it once I got there.

One strange thing, though is the incredible popularity of KFC! Chinese kids, especially, seem to be addicted to the stuff. Search me.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Sep 19:14

^^^perhaps cos its decent parts of chicken, not just the claws and beaks that they need to spit out😋
I was there 20 years ago for a year, all over China working and being a tourist, and as you say, it goes from beetles to top-notch in restaraunts, and i doubt its changed much
Up the north they actually didnt eat much rice, more tatties and rice-bread stuff, but in the south they ate absolutely anything with legs, except tables and chairs
some constitution!
had some kind of hot-pot in Beijing once which i'm sure the mushrooms had some 'magic' properties too
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org