DAFC.net
Home 22 September 2017 
Rogue's Gallery

Who's Online : 52 now
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Lovely Trees
Professional gardeners available for all your garden needs RHS and RBGE certified - we can do the work so you can enjoy your garden
[ web link ]

Mobility Scooters Menorca - Rentals
Welcome to Mobility Scooters Menorca, trusted partners of hotels, major tour operators and a registered supplier of Pantou, accessible services in Eu
[ web link ]

Landlord Link
The Landlord Link offers landlords the chance to market their vacant or tenanted properties...completely free of charge!
[ web link ]

Open Golf Competitions
The main web site in the UK and Ireland for amateur golf events with over 15,000 open golf competitions, 300 golf weeks and 50 passport schemes,
[ web link ]

[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Funeral tipping...
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Wed 30 Aug 21:16

My Dad died yesterday morning.

Among the many issues to deal with my Mum's asking if it's customary to tip the drivers of the funeral cars and the minister.

I don't know the answer...what are your experiences?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Funeral tipping...
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Wed 30 Aug 21:20

Sorry for your loss

Can't say I've ever heard of tipping the driver myself

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 30 Aug 21:42

Aye sorry for your loss mate.
I lost my father 2013 and helped my mother with a few things but can't say I've ever heard of tipping the drivers.
But other relatives also helped out so I'm not 100% sure.
Again, condolences to you and the family

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Wed 30 Aug 21:46

Sorry for your loss

1970par is your man if he reads off topic?

Post Edited (Wed 30 Aug 22:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Wed 30 Aug 22:06

Sorry to hear about your dad - it's a difficult, painful time for a family and all funeral companies understand this. There's no need or expectation for tipping, you have enough to get through on the day. Absolutely no one will think about such a thing or think any less of you. If you feel the need, you can leave something when you settle your bill. Same with the minister. When my old lady passed away, we donated flowers for the church after everything was done and they were grateful.

All the best to you and your loved ones - I'm sure you'll do your dad proud - don't worry about tipping, focus on yourself and your mum.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cheshire par  
Date:   Wed 30 Aug 23:08

Sorry for your loss parforthecourse, not an easy time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stevie  
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 05:49

My condolences to you and your family.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 06:00

Condolences you and your family,

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: paulthepar  
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 09:10

Very sorry to hear of your loss, thoughts are with you and the family at this hard time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 09:23

Sorry for your loss.

When I saw the title of the thread I was imagining a new phenomenon of a cross between fly tipping and a funeral where you just go and dump you bodies in the wilderness and have a wee funeral for them.
Relieved it wasn't that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 09:49

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Thu 31 Aug 09:23

Sorry for your loss.

When I saw the title of the thread I was imagining a new phenomenon of a cross between fly tipping and a funeral where you just go and dump you bodies in the wilderness and have a wee funeral for them.
Relieved it wasn't that.

PMSL. That would admittedly save a lot of money!

Seems the consencus is that there isn't one...I'll see what the funeral director says.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 09:51

....and thanks for your kind thoughts. Pars fans are quite nice.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 09:52

I didn't want to say it but I thought the same!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 10:48

Sorry to hear of your bereavement.

In my experience it is not uncommon for the family to tip the funeral staff - via the principal director.

Maybe that's only a Catholic thing - but I can't think of any reason why it would be so ?

As for the minister - is that not included in the overall costs, along with organist (if used) and flowers etc. ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 13:24

Does 1970par not work with the co-op funeral service ?
He'd be your man

A couple of funerals I've been involved in organising we had to pay the minister a fee, which we gave in an envelope on the day, cannot recall the cost sorry.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Aug 13:57

All worked out now. Minister is paid directly by the funeral director. It's already surprisingly expensive for the minister, for a couple of hours work, so he's getting nothing extra.

The drivers, etc, are also paid by the funeral director. Can't imagine these guys are highly paid so will stick some cash in an envelope to buy them a few beers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Wed 6 Sep 20:06

Sorry did not see this until just now

The Minister may or may not have a fee for the church but some families like to make a small donation to the church funds

As far as tipping the Funeral staff is concerned, there is no requirement to do so but like any other service industry a recognition of excellent service is always welcomed however it is never ever expected and it is a thing that is fading out these days, the drivers are (depending on the company they work for) actually well paid as they are highly skilled people who cover a range of duties

As a matter of interest there used to be a tradition to give the gravedigger a gratuity, the reason for this goes back to the days where there were grave robbers, the gratuity to the cemetery staff was to ensure that the grave was dug down deep to hopefully deter the grave robbers

Sorry to hear of your loss, whoever the company who looked after you were I trust they did so welll
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Sep 23:15

Thanks 1970par. Funeral tomorrow.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org