DAFC.net
Home 22 September 2017 
Rogue's Gallery

Who's Online : 53 now
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

New NHS Patients
New Row Dental Practice is accepting new patients, Something to really smile about.
[ web link ]

Lovely Trees
Experienced garden service RHS and RBGE certified- competitive rates, a full range of services to suit your needs. peter@lovelytrees.co.uk
[ web link ]

British Golf Museum
The 5 star Museum sits at the heart of the home of golf, just 67 yards from the famous Old Course. The world’s premier heritage centre for golf.
[ web link ]

Fife Small Business
If you are self employed or run a small business in Fife and would like to know more about the benefits of FSB membership visit their website.
[ web link ]

[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Seagull cull in Dundee
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 08:50

Over 200 have been shot humanely recently - great idea. I think this should be rolled out all over Scotland as these flying rats are out of control.

I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Seagull cull in Dundee
Topic Originator: Stevie  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 09:07

It'll happen through time imo.
I don't know why, but I thought they were going to remove nests/eggs to control the gull population?
My mate worked on the landfill a few year ago, and told me that gulls up there have learned to land in the trees when the gas cannon goes off.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 09:48

It appears a flock of gulls have staked to claim the skies over Dundee city centre. The gulls really are a miracle of evolution. All they do is fly, eat and make little baby gulls. Now there are two ways you can deal with the problem. You can either kill the gulls or you can cut off their food supply.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 10:03

As humans are so wasteful it will be impossible to cut off their food supply as they literally eat anything.

Kill them. Well not all of them.

I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 10:32

I am in the other camp, why can people decide to kill the gulls because they bother humans but farmers can't destroy Buzzards and other raptors that destroy their livelihoods.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 10:33

Dundee is a shopping town, it needs shopping dollars. If people can't shop there they'll gladly shop in Livingston, Stirling, Edinburgh. It's all psychological. You yell sparrow, people go "what? where?". You yell Seagull and you've got a panic on your hands on the fourth of July.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 10:51

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 5 Aug 09:48

It appears a flock of gulls have staked to claim the skies over Dundee city centre. The gulls really are a miracle of evolution. All they do is fly, eat and make little baby gulls. Now there are two ways you can deal with the problem. You can either kill the gulls or you can cut off their food supply.

What did they evolve from?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 11:01

Archaeopteryx
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 11:19

* scratches the chalk board to get everyone's attention*
Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch these birds for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad birds. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluetits and tommytails. This gull, swallow a chip whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down it goes. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many junkies in this city. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the wings, the feathers, the whole damn thing.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 12:11

You're gonna need a bigger boat TOWK...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 12:35

Finally AVP. After two Jaws references without a bite I had to go all in with Quints pitch at the end there.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 12:42

If people stopped feeding them, deliberately or otherwise, the problem would be
greatly reduced.

I recently got dived bombed by a flight of gulls when a punter dropped his chippie nearby - they were very aggressive.

Post Edited (Sat 05 Aug 13:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 13:39

Indeed TOWK....

Eleven men went into the water, 2 survived, gulls got the rest, 5th of August 2017...

Still, we delivered the joke...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 14:37

The Gulls in Dundee are no joke. tearing pidgeons apart in the street on a daily basis, dive bombing people and generally being a bunch of little c****. Don't think you'll find a single person in Dundee that's angry about this.

'I am in the other camp, why can people decide to kill the gulls because they bother humans but farmers can't destroy Buzzards and other raptors that destroy their livelihoods.'

Maybe because you're not tripping over Buzzards and raptors walking anywhere due to rampant overpopulation?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 14:50

Haha, I doff my cap to you AWP.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 21:34

Ravens need to be next, the damage they inflict on lambs and all the ground nesting birds is simply awful.

Once you have seen a lamb with its tongue ripped out and its eye missing but still alive you will understand.

As for the gulls no law broken no special license required if they are a danger to public health then they can be killed.

Many councils and pest control companies have been doing it for years including Dundee.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kintos  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 21:44

Careful, almost sounds like advocating raptor persecution.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 23:22

Just needed to be added to the General License Kintos!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sat 5 Aug 23:39

I wonder if any of them know what the sea is now as they are so far inland now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Aug 14:16

Raptors will never be added to the General Licence and rightly so. Human behaviour/actions towards them is disgraceful and its no wonder bird of prey populations are dwindling.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 6 Aug 19:03

Went to the seaside today.

Gull stole my mrs' sandwich from her hand. Fecker.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Mon 7 Aug 08:02

"The gulls really are a miracle of evolution. All they do is fly, eat and make little baby gulls."

If they start calling their baby gulls "Chantelle" or "Chardonnay" they'll be eligible for hundreds a week in benefits!!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Aug 08:20

After seagulls - they should start on Magpies..far too many now.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Aug 10:54

Knits I wouldn't class Ravens as Birds of Prey just enlarged Crows.

As for raptors more are getting killed by wind turbines than persecution currently.

Also 30 Hen Harriers have fledged on Leadhills and 22 on Skye (and many more in Scotland) the only thing different this year is that the person who does the ringing and tagging of the young chicks has been ill and unable to carry out this work! What a coincidence!

In England the Hen Harriers nests that failed were either sedated by foxes or other Bird of Prey or the nest abandoned after interference from taggers!

All too easy for the Raptor Brigade to scream persecution until you actually do your own research.

Like most thing media bias!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 7 Aug 17:21

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 7 Aug 18:28

Quote:

Kintos, Sun 6 Aug 14:16

Raptors will never be added to the General Licence and rightly so. Human behaviour/actions towards them is disgraceful and its no wonder bird of prey populations are dwindling.

Kintos you will find that raptors population is not dwindling but by the over protection of them have devastated the garden bird population. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a Merlin or even a kestrel , mainly due to large raptors killing their young or in some cases the parent birds .

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Mon 7 Aug 18:43

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 5 Aug 10:33

Dundee is a shopping town, it needs shopping dollars. If people can't shop there they'll gladly shop in Livingston, Stirling, Edinburgh. It's all psychological. You yell sparrow, people go "what? where?". You yell Seagull and you've got a panic on your hands on the fourth of July.

Perhaps Fife Council need to consider doing something similar with regards to Dunfermline's main nuisance - jakies wanting money for their hostel/bus.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Aug 22:00

Seagulls and man, two species separated by sixty-five million years of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Aug 22:15

Lol TOWK... help yourself to a chocolate biscuit neebs :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 07:52

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 7 Aug 22:00

Seagulls and man, two species separated by sixty-five million years of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?

But we've only been here a few thousand years...

*Runs and hides*
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 09:07

This cull.....the kind of control they are attempting simply is... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 09:21

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Tue 8 Aug 09:07

This cull.....the kind of control they are attempting simply is... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is.

Agreed....Steven Seagull is hard to kill.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 09:28

They should all be destroyed...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 09:52

Seagulls...they are lethal at eight months and I do mean lethal. I have hunted most things that can hunt but the way these things can swoop. And they are fast. Cheetah speed. Fifty, sixty miles per hour if they ever get out into the open skies.They show extreme intelligence, even problem-solving intelligence. Especially the big ones. When they look at you, you can see they're working things out. That's why we have to feed like this. They never attack the same fish and chip eater twice. They are testing us for weaknesses, systemically. They remember.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 10:13

Someone should make a film aboot birds having a go at us .....
Oh.... hang on 😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 10:27

No expense spared there TOWK...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 10:59

The people of Dundee don't understand what they are dealing with. It's the perfect organism. It's structural perfection only matched by its hostility. I admire the seagull's purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality. A last word to the people of Dundee, I can't lie to you about your chances but.....you have my sympathies.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 11:07

Get away from her you bitch!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 11:14

Listen and understand! Those seagulls are out there! They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop... ever, or at least until you are finished eating your poke of chips.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 11:22

Gulls don't feel pain. I do. Don't do that again...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Aug 18:23

Renegade, apologies my posts weren't directed at you. Obviously Ravens aren't birds of prey.

With reference to the devastation of garden birds MXXXV, there is no evidence to suggest this is down to Sparrowhawk populations. (according to RSPB) In fact, Sparrowhawk numbers are down since the nineties and unless moorland/heathland raptors are covertly uprooting to everyone's back gardens, another explanation will need to be found for finch, sparrow, starling and tit population declines.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Wed 9 Aug 10:29

OUCH

http://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/seagull-testicle/

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boston Red Sox  
Date:   Wed 9 Aug 10:46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1eU0Ha_Bdg

Doin' it the Jock Stein way
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Aug 11:35

When I was little, we found a half eaten bag of fish and chips. It looked like - like, butchered. The old woman in the village crossed themselves... and whispered crazy things, strange things. "El Diablo cazador de cenas de pescado." Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot.
"El cazador trofeo de cenas de pescado" means the demon who makes trophies of fish suppers.

Hiya Jimmy....

Post Edited (Wed 09 Aug 11:36)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Aug 12:11

You still don't understand TOWK, do you?

Whatever it is out there, it killed my fish supper, and now it wants my crisps...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Wed 9 Aug 16:05

You may need to ask Arnold AWP

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 9 Aug 16:56

Alfred Hitchcock recognised the danger way back in 1963.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056869/

SAC should have gone to highest alert status and destroyed the blighters !!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Aug 19:39

Cor, lumme! Gordon bennet, them bleedin' blighters best bugger oarf sharpish...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Aug 23:41

I'd shoot the gulls, that's my policy, because when I see a full chasing after woman trying to eat some chips I figure that gull ain't out collecting for the red cross.

Hiya Jimmy....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 10 Aug 14:57

So has anyone decided how many Dundonians the Seagulls are permitted to cull?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org