DAFC.net
Home 21 November 2017 
Rogue's Gallery

Who's Online : 40 now
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Flemings of Rosyth
Removals, Storage, Distribution. Moving homes and businesses for 40 years.
[ web link ]

Landlord Link
The Landlord Link offers landlords the chance to market their vacant or tenanted properties...completely free of charge!
[ web link ]

Craig Adam Joinery
A fully-qualified and insured Fife based joinery and kitchen fitting company with more than 10 years experience in and around Fife.
[ web link ]

Web Hosting
Support DAFC.net and get your web domain and hosting services from us.
[ web link ]

[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dunkirk
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 18 Jul 02:17

Has anybody seen this movie yet? The newspaper reviews have been pretty good. I am hoping to see it next weekend.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dunkirk
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 18 Jul 08:03

Another Hollywood rewriting of horrific events featuring good looking young chaps being heroic.
May be good entertainment but utter bullsh*t in a historic sense.
I'll pass.

I Hope You're Ok Today....

Post Edited (Tue 18 Jul 08:03)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 18 Jul 10:36

By all accounts an excellent movie and I'm sure Nolan will keep it historically accurate. Nolan can be a very good director when he isn't telling stories about a man dressing up like a bat.

All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Tue 18 Jul 11:18

Going to see it on Friday, by all accounts pretty historically accurate according to the veterans that took part.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Tue 18 Jul 16:07

Quote:

Athletico, Tue 18 Jul 11:18

Going to see it on Friday, by all accounts pretty historically accurate according to the veterans that took part.

Be nice to have a review from someone who has seen it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 19 Jul 11:32

I'm going to see it Sunday so would be interested to see if it's any cop from folk watching it before me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Wed 19 Jul 23:13

Saw the trailer for it when I was in the pictures a few weeks back. Looks absolutely brilliant.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PeachtreePar  
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 04:35

Saw it tonight at an IMAX. Very raw and tense and felt like you were there. There is not a lot of dialogue in the film. I would watch it again just to see those beautiful Spitfires.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 09:44

5-star review in the Guardian for what it's worth. I'm really looking forward to seeing this film. It's available in 70mm at some cinemas.

Post Edited (Fri 21 Jul 09:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Adundeemonkey  
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 14:34

That lad from One Direction being in it as put me off. Can't take a film seriously when it uses gimmicks like that.

Its tuff being a Par but we love it!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 14:45

You wouldn't like that Deepwater Horizon movie then.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PeachtreePar  
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 15:45

It's a very tense movie and lots of raw human emotion. It doesn't go into a lot of explaining of the background story of the characters. I think that is good thing myself. The way it had been filmed is amazing as you really feel you are there. You won't see the same level of CGI blood and gore as in other war films.

I don't really know One Direction so didn't distract from the film to cast Harry Styles. I believe Nolan wasn't aware of his prior music fame before casting him.

I do feel it keeps history in perspective and hasn't been gloried up to appeal to an American audience. It downplays the huge battle that was going on mostly by the French rearguard.

My great uncle was in the BEF but was evacuated two weeks before Dunkirk due to having diphtheria. He got his feet wet in North Africa though when his troopship SS Strathallan was torpedoed off of Oran.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 16:19

Harry Styles got a good crit in the Guardian review. Maybe he's a better actor than he is a singer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 18:28

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 21 Jul 16:19

Harry Styles got a good crit in the Guardian review. Maybe he's a better actor than he is a singer.

Hardly a high bar.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 22:40

An absolute masterclass in film making from Nolan. It's light on dialogue which just helps to ramp up the drama as the musical score ebbs and flows with the action and really heightens the tension. Can't recommend this movie highly enough.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jul 22:43

Masterpiece. As has been mentioned, not a lot of dialogue but it doesn't need it. The camera tells the story and it's shot beautifully.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 22 Jul 06:34

I haven't seen it yet but I'm offended by the lack of women and minority's in the film. Obvious whitewashing and all that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sat 22 Jul 09:10

16 replies on a post about a movie in the off topic forum.
Surely time to get rid of the movies/music/games forum as this same post there would be largely ignored.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jul 09:11

Well if you had seen it you would have saw a number of non white faces and minority groups represented including a group of native Americans (in full dress) operating a German Panzer and a transgender individual as first mate on a VIC 32 'Clyde Puffer'.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jul 10:36

Still, too many white European people. I'm boycotting the oscars, like!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sligo Mick  
Date:   Sat 22 Jul 12:28

Another war movie that is a load of shoiite, once again Churchill shown to be a good guy , when at the end of the day was a was a coward,who would have happily sacrificed the lives of the brave young men on the Dunkirk beaches
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jul 12:36

Obviously you haven't watched the movie SM nor know your Dunkirk history all that well. Fortunately Britain didn't remain neutral in the war against the Nazi's.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StuPar82  
Date:   Sat 22 Jul 14:39

Got tickets to see the 70mm film version at the filmhouse and looking forward to it. The trailer looks very intense.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 22 Jul 16:38

The real good guy on the British side was Dowding who refused to allow Churchill's demands for more RAF fighter squadrons to be sacrificed trying to retrieve a lost campaign in France.

He was proven 100% right in the next few months.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dalgety_Par  
Date:   Sun 23 Jul 16:15

Fantastic movie. I hate when people refuse to watch a movie based on someone being in it, so so petty. Harry Styles actually performs his part pretty well.

It's common knowledge that Lionel Messi kept a photo of Hamish French by his bedside as inspiration every morning!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cambozpar  
Date:   Sun 23 Jul 16:49

Seen it today, well worth a watch especially on the big screen.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Speed Triple  
Date:   Sun 23 Jul 17:13

Only the British could turn a defeat into something heroic.
The fact is the German army defeated the French and British with an ease that they never anticipated.
I'm going to go along and see this film. Looking forward to it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jul 17:59

Fact is but for the Dunkirk evacuation what was already an operational defeat for Britain would have undoubtedly become a strategic defeat. As it was the Germans failure to achieve that strategic victory ultimately led to their absolute defeat.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pedroboy  
Date:   Sun 23 Jul 18:22

What's often forgotten about Dunkirk is the 51st Highland Divisions rear guard action on the Western Front. They took a lot of the flak off Dunkirk to allow the evacuation to save as many soldiers as possible while suffering horrendous casualties and hundreds of POW's sent to Germany when they had to finally surrender.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jul 18:56

True but the real rear guard heroes of Dunkirk were the forty thousand French troops who didn't retreat from their positions until after the last evacuation ship had sailed.

[IP address logged]
 Re: Dussnkirk
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 23 Jul 22:19

How is Churchill a coward?

He was the only one in government who wanted to stick it out. Halifax & Chamberlin wanted to negotiate. He stood alone as a leader for over a year until the Russian campaign started. You may not like him but the man is no coward.

Lots of Irishmen & women stood up for freedom against tyranny.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16287211

SM - Sometimes there is a bigger picture out there and you have to look at it.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jul 11:32

Correct Angus. Churchill (despite his faults) was the forceful character that refused to accept any form of terms with Germany when others were less so.

Halifax would have been worse than Chamberlein.

Churchill was no coward - he participated in several military actions over a wide span of years. In WW1 as battalion OC he had to be restrained from going too near the front line.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jul 11:36

He also wanted to be on the beaches of Normandy on day one and only an intervention by King George stopped him. The King told him that as supreme leader of the UK armed forces if the prime ministerelt he had to be at the front then so to must the King.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 24 Jul 20:03

Poor movie. Felt zero empathy with any of the characters.
Considering 300,000 were evacuated there seemed a real lack of people on the beaches and vessels there to rescue them.
Would not recommend this film.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Highway_Star  
Date:   Mon 24 Jul 21:44

Edinburgh Filmhouse is showing it in 70mm

Glasgow Film Theatre will be showing it for a couple of nights in August in 70mm.

The only other cinema in Scotland able to do this is the Belmont in Aberdeen, no plans to show it in 70mm there sadly.

Manchester Printworks are showing in Imax 70mm (this is not the same as standard 70mm), There's a couple of London cinemas showing standard and Imax 70mm.

Anywhere else with the Imax badge, it's 2K digital, exactly the same as the bulk of cinemas. Granted you get a huge screen and big sound.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Jul 08:30

Left me cold.....and in no doubt that this is a Hollywood retelling of history.
Utter utter garbage...one long set piece.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Jul 09:15

I thought you were going to pass on it, Rasta?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Jul 09:33

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 25 Jul 09:15

I thought you were going to pass on it, Rasta?

I was but curiosity....and a free ticket....got me through the door.
It was typically spectacular Nolan fare...I'll give it that....but there was virtually nothing from the cast that made me care.

There was investment in the scenario but not the characters I'm afraid....too much emphasis on begging for an Oscar.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Jul 22:07

Words from Royal Navy Signalman Ken Sturdy. Dunkirk veteran:

"I never thought I would see that again. It was just like I was there again," Sturdy told Global News.

"It didn't have a lot of dialogue," he added. "It didn't need any of the dialogue because it told the story visually and it was so real."

Sturdy explained how watching the movie had brought back memories of the battle in which he evacuated soldiers waiting boats from the chaos of the beach.

"I was in those little boats picking them out of the water," Sturdy said. "I had the privilege of seeing that film tonight and I am saddened by it because of what happened on that beach."

Sturdy said the harrowing scenes had taken him back to a time when he was on those small boats, adding that the beach had been filled with terrified soldiers.

"I was 20 when that happened, but watching the movie, I could see my old friends again and a lot of them died later in the war," Sturdy said. "I went on convoys after that in the North Atlantic. I had lost so many of my buddies. One of my mates was taken prisoner. He wasn't killed on the beach. They marched him up to Poland. And he spent five years in a German prisoner camp."

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: istvan kozma  
Date:   Wed 26 Jul 21:43

7/10. War cannot properly be portrayed in a 12a rated film. Felt like I must have fallen asleep and missed something

KOZMA

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stevie  
Date:   Thu 27 Jul 08:49

My neebur was telling me that the music is so loud you can't hear them talking? Apart from that he said the film is brilliant.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 27 Jul 12:15

It's pretty good. People complain a lot about character development. It seems quite a few are missing the point of the film. People should know by now that anything directed by Christopher Nolan isn't really going to be conventional. He's very experimental. The voices are a bit muffled at times and the music is very loud but we first seen this in Interstellar. It seems it'll be something he does yet again although I can't say I'm keen on it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 31 Jul 17:25

Quote:

Speed Triple, Sun 23 Jul 17:13

Only the British could turn a defeat into something heroic.
The fact is the German army defeated the French and British with an ease that they never anticipated.
I'm going to go along and see this film. Looking forward to it.

Didnae help us that the kings fascist brother was passing info to the nazis on a promise of getting the throne back. Allegedly 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 1 Aug 19:25

Went to see this film today.Thought it was excellent. Very loud ,but added to the effect. Action all the way,and no romantic mushy nonsense. Great dog fight action,highly recommend. 😊
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 3 Aug 02:20

I enjoyed the film too, especially the dogfights with the spitfires. However, to me, it never really hit the highs that the reviews had promised. It was a better than good film, but not a great one.

I agree with the comments about the sound. It did challenge the eardrums.

Cinematically, I thought this was one occasion on film where a little bit of CGI enhancement of the number of men on the beach might have made the end of the opening scene - where the soldier finally reaches the beach - just that little bit more striking and well, authentic. It looked more like a good East End Park crowd rather than the 300,000 plus that were actually there in 1940. Similarly, the number of small rescue boats was obviously a bit on the low side.

My other issue is more to do with painting out, rather than painting in: towards the end of the movie, the Dunkirk skyline is dominated by large gantry container cranes. Now, that may have passed a lot of people by, but anyone with some knowledge of the shipping and transport scene would know that you would have to wait until the 1960s to see the first of them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJTRUPAR  
Date:   Thu 3 Aug 18:07

Enjoyed this movie. Wasn't fantastic but certainly good. We watched it in Stirling and the noise was fine.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Fri 4 Aug 14:34

Quote:

DJTRUPAR, Thu 3 Aug 18:07

Enjoyed this movie. Wasn't fantastic but certainly good. We watched it in Stirling and the noise was fine.

Just watched also Enjoyable movie actually thought the music added to the atmosphere of the movie .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 11 Aug 09:54

"My other issue is more to do with painting out, rather than painting in: towards the end of the movie, the Dunkirk skyline is dominated by large gantry container cranes. Now, that may have passed a lot of people by, but anyone with some knowledge of the shipping and transport scene would know that you would have to wait until the 1960s to see the first of them."

Nigh impossible to reproduce the scenes with 100% historical accuracy.

The small warships in the film looked as if they had had extensive plywood additions to their superstructures - fair enough attempts to recreate the naval craft of the time.

I was a bit dubious about small arms fire being able to punch holes in the metal plated hull of the trawler.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Fri 11 Aug 19:18

First class film. No grounds for complaining about lack of character development or dialogue - those were never on Nolan's agenda. Right from the start, the absence of opening credits indicates that this is about the story, not the performances.

Direction and cinematography are brilliant and once again Nolan plays around with timeframe to create interest.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Fri 11 Aug 22:14

I was a wee bit peeved at the start when the British soldier was telling the French that the boat was for "English soldiers only".

I wasn't aware that England fought the Germans themselves ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 11 Aug 23:57

I guess in terms of the movie though the question is would an English soldier of the time say "English soldiers only" or "British soldiers only". I suspect that many of the English were as ignorant and arrogant then with regards to the make up of their nation then as they are now. Nevertheless under the banner of Britain both Scottish and English soldiers found themselves on the right side of history.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Aug 09:53

Welsh and Irish (both parts) as well ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Aug 10:20

Of course though officially Eire weren't opposed to Hitler's Germany.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Aug 11:20

DeValera's government took an official stance of strict neutrality, for several practical reasons - in practice they favoured the Allied side, especially when the USA entered the war.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Aug 11:33

The Irish foreign secretary said in 1941 "… small nations like Ireland do not and cannot assume a role as defenders of just causes except [their] own ... Existence of our own people comes before all other considerations … no government has the right to court certain destruction for its people; they have to take the only chance of survival and stay out." What is that saying again about for evil to triumph?
Like you say VE, once America entered the war and it was clear who was eventually going to win the Irish more or less abandoned neutrality.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Aug 12:09

Their big fear in the early days of the war was invasion, either by the Germans or the UK.

Formal neutrality was the only realistic formal position to take for a young emerging nation like Eire to adopt, especially bordering one of the combatant nations.

Even before America came into the conflict the Irish government was less than rigid with its approach - such as the time Belfast was heavily bombed in April 1941 and fire tenders and firemen from Eire went to assist their local counterparts.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Aug 12:21

Not sure it was the only realistic option they had. I reckon pride played a big part in it. Even when faced with the greatest evil the world has ever known Eire couldn't bare to side up with the British. That's not discount the courage and valor of thousands of Irishmen who fought against the Nazi's in the British armed forces. Shamefully after the war thousands of them were discriminated against by the Irish state.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Aug 12:44

Siding with Britain in 1939 would have risked another civil war in Eire.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Sat 12 Aug 13:22

Some twerp on here calls Churchill a coward although he led the nation that fought the Nazis longer than any other.
On the other hand the PM of a nation that didn't fight the Nazis goes to the German embassy in Dublin and signs a book of condolence for Hitler.....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 12 Aug 13:54

Quite a few in the Six Counties' part of Churchill's nation were reluctant to fight the Germans as well - since conscription was exempt there.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:

phorum.org